What pleasure! I awake consumed with Rumi and recipes. My heart rich and raw, weeping from so much beauty. Sunflowers stretch towards the sun, casting their souls to the soil–food for scavenging crows. Life is for eating! I savor the sweetness of sunflower seeds and the bitterness of dandelion leaves.
Raw Seed Pâté With Seasonal Crudités
Yields 2 heaping cups
1 cup raw sunflower seeds, soaked and rinsed 6-10 hours*
1 cup raw pumpkin seeds, soaked and rinsed 6-10 hours
¾ cup olive oil
3 tbs fresh lemon juice
1tsp minced garlic
1tsp sea salt
½ cup to 1cup chopped fresh herbs (basil, dill, and parsley)
Crudités: raw chopped carrots, cucumbers, fennel (it’s the best!), string beans, sugar snaps, radishes etc.
- Soak the seeds for 6 hours or overnight. Rinse them thoroughly and let sit in a colander or sieve to drip dry.
- In a food processor grind the seeds until mealy.
- Add the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Serve with raw chopped vegetable
- The pâté can be frozen for later use. Store in a 125ml mason jars for lunches and snacks.
At the last raw food retreat with Conscious Catering we danced around the kitchen table to this song before our raw food feast. Dancing before eating works better then an aperitif. Try it the next time your waiter asks you how you’d like to start your meal.
* Soaking seeds activates their enzymes which makes them more digestible.