Fall for breakfast. Wake up to steamy hugs and creamy kisses. Yes it’s all there; welcome the humble oat groat with the changing colors and chilly slumber.
Creamy Oat Groats with Autumn Apples
½ cup whole oat groats*
½ cup water
½ large apple chopped up
1 handful of soaked walnuts chopped up
1tsp. butter or coconut oil
1 generous pinch of sea salt
Fresh grated ginger to taste
Honey to taste
Cinnamon to taste
- The night before put the oats and walnuts in separate bowls to soak.
- In the morning rinse them both in a sieve until the water runs clear. Let them sit over a bowl to drain off any access water.
- Find a small pot that retains heat well (nice heavy bottom).
- Put whole oat groats and water in the pot with the cover on.
- Bring the water to a boil (high heat), then, turn heat to the lowest temperature.
- Simmer covered for about 10 minutes, and then add apples and walnuts.
- Cook covered for another 5 minutes or until the water has evaporated and the grains are chewy and creamy.
- Stir in butter, salt, honey and fresh ginger.
- Serve with cuddles, a cozy blanket and soft songs.
*Organic oat groats, walnuts, sea salt, honey and cinnamon can be purchased at The Grainery Food Co-op as well as Planet Organic.
P.S. I’ve eaten oat groats in many combinations over the years. If you’re already a client feel free to e-mail me for more tasty variations.
Oat groats are an excellent source of complex carbohydrates. They’re also high in amino acids (which make protein), and many essential vitamins and minerals some of which are: B vitamins, calcium, iron and magnesium. The balanced ratio of macro and micronutrients provides sustained energy while calming the nervous system, helping to reduce stress and anxiety. I think oats are the super food of the north.