Shake the dust from your booty.
Heart beats, sugar.
Shake the soil from your food.
Heart sugar beets.
Shake, Dance and Eat!
Sugar, heart beats.
Booty Shaken Beat Salad
With orange and star anise vinaigrette
1 or 2 bunches of beets (the more the merrier since you’re heating the oven anyway)
1 red onion thinly sliced
2 cloves of garlic chopped
1 tbsp. olive oil
sea salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper to taste (wild pepper* is particularly fragrant)
½ c. pumpkin seeds
1 bunch of cut and steamed kale, spinach or field greens
- Wash and cut the beets into small bite size pieces.
- Toss with olive oil, onions, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Bake in the oven at 350° for about 1 hour or until caramelized (soft, sweet and gooey)
- When the beets are done turn the oven off and gently warm the pumpkin seeds being careful not to toast. The warmth will bring out the flavor without denaturing the delicate oils.
- Make the dressing while the beets are cooking.
- Prep the kale and steam just before serving.
2/3 c. orange juice (about 2 fresh oranges squeezed)
½ tsp organic orange rind
2 star anise
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp honey
1/3 c. fresh cranberries
1/4 c.. olive oil
- Sauté and reduce the orange juice, orange rind, vinegar, honey, star anise and cranberries for about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let cool.
- When it is warm to touch, pour in the oil in a stream while whisking.
- Toss with the caramelized beets, spoon over steamed kale, spinach or field greens and top with warm pumpkin seeds.
* Wild pepper can be purchased at the historic farmers market from spice mongers, Epices De Cru