Spicy Sweet Potatoes with Wild Canadian Rice and French Lentils
Both white and red sweet potatoes from Ted’s CSA box cut into bite sized cubes
1 tbsp oil
Seasoning: 2 tsp curry powder or toasted cumin and chipotle or spicy curry paste of choice + a dash of salt.
½ c French lentils + 1.5 c water or broth
½ c Canadian wild rice + 2 c water
½ c sunflower seeds (soaked for 3 hours, rinsed and dry or raw)
½ c walnuts (soaked for 6 hours, rinsed and dry or lightly warmed in the oven)
3 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp lime juice (or apple cider vinegar)
1 tbsp tamari
3 tbsp maple syrup
optional 1-2 tsp. curry paste of choice.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Wash the sweet potatoes and cut into cubes. Toss with oil and seasoning and bake in a large oiled skillet or baking pan till tender but not mushy. Give them lots of room so they brown on one side. Having too many vegetables stacked on top of each other causes them to steam rather than bake.
- In the meantime cook the lentils and wild rice in separate pots according to the directions on the package. Drain any access water thoroughly.
- Put all the dressing ingredients in a jar with a lid and shake vigorously.
- When everything is cooked toss it together with the dressing. Season the mixture to your taste and then put it back I the oven at 200° for another 15 minutes.
- Toss in the seeds and walnuts before serving.
- Tastes great with a side of steamed Russian kale seasoned with some of the leftover dressing (if there is any). Truly international fusion!